I AM A VICTIM OF FAMILY VIOLENCE – How to get a Personal Protection Order

family violence

In this article, we explained how you can go about getting a Personal Protection Order (PPO).


Starting Proceedings

You and your lawyer must go personally to the Family Court to complete the Magistrate’s Complaint form. You will be asked to affirm your Complaint before a Magistrate.

If you have any police or medical reports relating to your case, you should bring these with you. However, you do not need to have copies of such reports to file an application for a personal protection order.

It is a serious offence to include statements that you know to be untrue or incorrect in a sworn or affirmed Magistrate’s Complaint.

If your application is in order, the Magistrate or District Judge will direct that a summons to the Respondent be issued.



The Protection Order Services Unit will arrange for the personal service of the summons on the Respondent by a Court process server at the address provided by you in your Magistrate’s Complaint.

Please note that the summons cannot be served on a Respondent living outside Singapore.

If the Respondent fails to turn up in court, the court will result in the issuance of a Warrant of Arrest against him.


Your First Court date

Your first Court date will be a mention of your case in Family Court 1 before a District Judge. At your mention, the Judge may direct that parties go for counselling or give directions for the matter to go for trial.


The Trial

Both parties will have to give evidence before a Magistrate or District Judge to prove your respective cases. This will be done in a trial in open court.

The trial may last anything from an hour or two, to a few days, depending on the complexity of your case.

At the end of the hearing, the lawyers will present arguments on behalf of their respective clients.

The Magistrate or District Judge will then make the necessary orders. This marks the conclusion of the case.



If you are not satisfied with the order, you may appeal to a Judge of the High Court.

If you wish to appeal, you must do so by filing a Notice of Appeal (Form 114) in the Civil Registry of the Subordinate Courts. The Notice must be filed and served within 14 days of the order. You must also provide security for the other party’s costs of the appeal in the sum of $2,000, if you are appealing against a Magistrate’s order, or $3,000, if you are appealing against a District Judge’s order.


PKWA Divorce Lawyers recognised in Straits Times Singapore's Best Law Firms 2021
PKWA Law helps client to win Court of Appeal case. Husband wins 75% of matrimonial assets, up from 25%

Book My Free Consultation Now

480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, #16-01,
HDB Hub East Wing,
Singapore 310480

Nearest MRT Station:
Toa Payoh (1 min walk)


Opening Hours:
Monday – Friday
9:00 – 18:00

Make an Appointment / Enquiry
error: Content is protected