divorce lawyer Singapore for contentious divorce


If you are a victim of family violence, or if you are accused of family violence, you should know about a Personal Protection Order (PPO) and the consequences of a PPO.


What is Family Violence?

You can only apply if you a victim of family violence. Section 64 of the Women’s Charter defines Family violence as:

  • Wilfully or knowingly placing, or attempting to place, a family member in fear of hurt
  • Causing hurt to a family member by an act which is known or ought to have been known will result in hurt
  • Wrongful confining or restraining a family member against his will
  • Continual harassment with intent to cause or knowing that it is likely to cause anguish to a family member.


Can you apply for a Personal Protection Order (PPO)?

You can apply for a PPO against a family member who is related to you in any of the following manners:

  • Spouse or ex-spouse;
  • Child, including an adopted child or stepchild;
  • Parent;
  • In-law;
  • Sibling;
  • Any other relative who the court may regard as a member of your family


Can you apply for a PPO even when there are no divorce proceedings?

Yes, you can. You can apply for a PPO even when you are not contemplating or going through a divorce.


When will the Court grant a PPO?

Under section 65(1) of the Women’s Charter, the Court will grant a personal protection order if it is satisfied, on a balance of probabilities, that family violence has been committed or is likely to be committed against you, and that such an order is necessary for your protection.


How do you apply for a PPO?

Most applicants will apply straight for a PPO at the Family Protection Centre at the Family Court.

If it is not convenient for you to go to the Family Justice Courts to make the application, you may go to any of the following Family Violence Specialist Centres (FVSC) to make your application through a video-link facility:


  • Centre for Promoting Alternatives to Violence (PAVe)
    Blk 211 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3
    Singapore 560211
    Tel: 6555 0390
  •  TRANS SAFE Centre
    Blk 410 Bedok North Avenue 2
    Singapore 460410
    Tel: 6449 9088
  • Care Corner Project StART
    Blk 7A Commonwealth Ave
    Singapore 141007
    Tel: 64761482


There are 3 orders that the court may make:


  • Expedited Order (EO) is a temporary PPO given if there is imminent danger. EO lasts for 28 days from the date it was served to the respondent and for period(s) as extended by the Court.


  • Domestic Exclusion Order (DEO) excludes or restricts the respondent from entering the applicant’s residence or parts of the residence.


  • Personal Protection Order (PPO) which orders that the respondent stops using violence against you.


I have got my PPO. What happens if the respondent does not obey the PPO?

You should report the matter to the police immediately. The police will then decide whether to investigate the matter, and w​hether to charge the respondent for a breach of the order. This will be done in the Criminal Justice Division at the State Courts building.

Under section 65(8) of the Women’s Charter, a breach of an expedited order or personal protection order is a criminal offence. The respondent can be punished with a fine of up to $2,000, or by imprisonment of up to six months, or both. A second or subsequent offence is punishable by a fine of up to $5,000, or by imprisonment of up to 12 months, or both.



If you need advice on family violence or a Personal Protection Order, please contact us at 6854-5336 for a free first consultation. We will inform you of your rights and what we can do to help you.


PKWA Divorce Lawyers recognised in Straits Times Singapore's Best Law Firms 2021
PKWA Law helps client to win Court of Appeal case. Husband wins 75% of matrimonial assets, up from 25%

Book My Free Consultation Now

480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, #16-01,
HDB Hub East Wing,
Singapore 310480

Nearest MRT Station:
Toa Payoh (1 min walk)


Opening Hours:
Monday – Friday
9:00 – 18:00

Make an Appointment / Enquiry
error: Content is protected