divorce lawyer

Expat divorce in Singapore – Common Expat Divorce Questions

If you are an expat in Singapore and are considering divorce, the following are some of the most common questions surrounding expat divorce in Singapore.


Am I eligible to file for divorce in Singapore?

Yes, provided if the following conditions are met:

a. you must have been married for at least 3 years.

b. either you or your spouse is a Singaporean citizen.

c. If both of you are not Singaporean citizens, one of you must ordinarily live in Singapore and have done so for 3 years immediately before filing for divorce.

d. you must show that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.


If we are both not Singaporeans, which country’s divorce laws will apply – our home country or Singapore?

If you or your spouse files for divorce in the Singapore Courts, then Singapore law will apply to the divorce.


Are there any advantages in filing for divorce in Singapore?

We are not able to compare the pros and cons of filing for divorce in your home country versus filing in Singapore. You would need to know Singapore law and get advice from a lawyer in your home country to make a useful comparison.

What we can say is that Singapore is an attractive place for expat couples to file their divorce for the following reasons:

a. the courts are very efficient. An uncontested divorce takes less than 4 months to complete. If your divorce is contested, it should take about one year.

b. the courts are pro mediation. At many stages during the divorce process, there will be many opportunities to mediate to resolve the case. It is estimated that about 90 percent of all divorce cases that are filed in Singapore are resolved without going for trial.

c. the fees are relatively affordable. For example, at PKWA Law, our fees for an uncontested divorce are fixed at either $1,500 all in (if there are no properties, no children and no maintenance) or $2,500 all in (if there are children, properties and maintenance).


I am a trailing spouse. What will happen to my dependant’s pass when i go through a divorce? Do I have to leave the country?

Unfortunately, if you are on a dependent pass, and your divorce is finalised, you are required to leave Singapore within 14 days. If you dont wish to leave Singapore. you must find employment to remain in Singapore.


Guide to Getting a Divorce in Singapore

To better understand the divorce laws and process in Singapore, you may wish to read our Guide to Getting a Divorce in Singapore. The Guide explains the Singapore law on divorce, financial matters and children custody.

 .Client Testimonials for expat divorce lawyer


“PKWA Law represented me in my recent divorce, which was eventually resolved amicably and satisfactorily. Dorothy Tan and her team were a tremendous support throughout this stressful process. I have no hesitation in recommending PKWA and Dorothy to anyone looking for competent, knowledgeable, sympathetic, and efficient representation.”

Bjorn Vang Jansen


“In desperation to seek justice, and in my hour of need, I was recommended to PKWA. Dorothy Tan LISTENED to my case, and worked tirelessly over the holidays and weekends to meet impossible deadlines. A very upsetting and stressful time but I will be forever grateful as Dorothy believed in my case and sought a fair and just resolution against insurmountable odds. At every juncture, Dorothy provided realistic, honest assessments and I proceeded based on her recommendations. If Dorothy and her team decides to champion your cause, you should consider yourself very fortunate.”
Chris Twiss


Note by PKWA Law: Ms Dorothy Tan successfully represented Mr Twiss in the landmark Court of Appeal case of Twiss, Christopher James Hans v Twiss, Yvonne Prendergast [2015] SGCA 52.





PKWA Law is one of Singapore’s largest family law firms, specialising in divorce law, family law, wills and probate. We are consistently named as a leading family law firm by respected legal publications such as Asian Legal Business, Singapore Business Review, Global Law Experts and Doyle’s Guide to Singapore Family Lawyers.

Our team of family lawyers are accredited specialist Collaborative Family Lawyers with the Singapore Mediation Centre.

Contact us at tel 6854-5336 for a free first consultation.


PKWA Law helps client to win Court of Appeal case. Husband wins 75% of matrimonial assets, up from 25%
PKWA Law is named one of Singapore’s fastest-growing companies in a study compiled by The Straits Times and global research firm Statista..

Book My Free Consultation Now

480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, #16-01,
HDB Hub East Wing,
Singapore 310480

Nearest MRT Station:
Toa Payoh (1 min walk)


Opening Hours:
Monday – Friday
9:00 – 18:00

Make an Appointment / Enquiry
error: Content is protected