LIM CHONG BOON, DIVORCE LAWYER – Can I Oppose My Spouse’s Divorce Application?

While one party to a marriage may desire a divorce, it is not always the case where his or her spouse agrees to the same. As such, if your spouse unilaterally files for a divorce, you can oppose his or her application, provided that you follow the right procedure. Here are some pointers:


1. Do not ignore the application

If you ignore your spouse’s application, your spouse can proceed with the divorce unilaterally by applying for a substitution or dispensation of service. Thereafter, the Court may decide the case without you. Even without your presence at the Court hearing, your marriage can still be legally dissolved with orders made on the children, assets and maintenance.


2. File the necessary papers to oppose the application

If you disagree to a divorce, you have to file a Memorandum of Appearance within 8 days of receiving the divorce papers stating your intention to contest the matter and after which, you have to file a Defence, stating why your spouse’s claim is not true. If you merely disagree with your spouse’s claim on the ancillary matters, you should file the Memorandum of Appearance indicating which issues you are contesting, so that the Court can adjudged on the various issues after the marriage has been dissolved.


Keen to discuss more? Call the Family Lawyers at PKWA LAW at 6854 5336 / 6854 5331 / 6397 6100 for a free 1st consultation.


what does a probate lawyer do

Book My Free Consultation Now

480 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, #16-01,
HDB Hub East Wing,
Singapore 310480

Nearest MRT Station:
Toa Payoh (1 min walk)


Opening Hours:
Monday – Friday
9:00 – 18:00

Make an Appointment / Enquiry
error: Content is protected