ABOUT MR LIM CHONG BOON
Mr Lim Chong Boon is an experienced matrimonial and divorce lawyer in Singapore with more than 25 years’ litigation experience. He is recognised by Doyle’s Guide to Singapore Family Lawyers as a Leading Family and Divorce Lawyer.Chong Boon started his practice at Allen & Gledhill, where he had the privilege of working directly under some of Singapore’s best lawyers.
.He now has more than 25 years of experience in the Singapore courts. Chong Boon’s areas of practice include family and divorce law, probate, commercial litigation, company law, construction litigation, corporate debt recovery, directors and shareholders’ disputes, employment law, intellectual property, immigration matters, insolvency, landlord and tenant disputes, and property disputes. He has been involved in several high profile cases involving very substantial claims.
Chong Boon is the Head of our Family Law Department, one of the largest family law practice in Singapore.
.Chong Boon is recommended by Global Law Experts 2015 edition as someone who “is valued by clients in civil and family law matters for his knowledge and experience in the law” and for being “practical and street wise.” .
He is also highly recommended as a leading and reputable divorce and family lawyer by Global Law Experts as “a good listener”, able to“cut through the issues quickly”. He is known “to favour mediation over litigation in divorce matters, but will litigate aggressively in court.”
Chong Boon frequently appears in the High Court, the State Court and the Family Court. Some of his reported cases include Fornet Enterprise Co Ltd vs Howell Universal Pte Ltd & others [ 2006] 2 SLR 349;  SGHC 33 and OCM Opportunities Fund II, LP and others vs PT Indah Kiat Pulp and Paper Corporation  SGHC 73.
.Some of the cases he has handled in PKWA Law include:
Commercial & Civil Cases
- acting in a protracted and highly complex litigation in the Singapore High Court of one of the largest corporate bond defaults in emerging markets history. The claim was worth US$300 million and involved legal experts from the US and Indonesia. The case was heard in 3 different countries and the parties litigated all the way up to the Supreme Court of New York, the Supreme Court of Indonesia and the Singapore High Court.
- advising the leading global operator of water services in employment matters and general corporate advice for its Asia Pacific office.
- acting for a government statutory board in property disputes and to obtain possession of property from errant tenants.
- acting for all 8 defendants to successfully defend a US$27 million multi cause of action claim for breach of contract, breach of agency and conspiracy to defraud. The matter reached the Court of Appeal which upheld Chong Boon’s arguments.
- acting for one of the largest property agency companies in Singapore in an action against some of its former employees and agents for poaching its staff and for breach of contract.
- defending former students in a defamation suit brought by a well- known options trading trainer.
- acting for a US listed MNC in litigation over the construction of a wafer fab plant in Singapore.
- acting for DBS Bank in the recovery of credit card and housing loans.
- acting for the Nominee in the successful seeking of bankruptcy protection under the Bankruptcy Act for two directors of a Singapore listed company. This allowed the directors to resolve and restructure their personal liabilities of about $51 million arising out of corporate guarantees they had executed in connection with the debts of the company.
- advising a major international hotel hotel chain in their dispute against their Singapore landlord.
- acting in the Singapore High Court in litigation with an international construction and engineering company over the construction of a plant. The case was one of the first in Singapore to involve electronic discovery of documents stored in servers.
- Successfully represented the mother in a bitterly fought custody battle over her two children. The High Court accepted our arguments that the mother is a good and nurturing mother, despite the father’s efforts to paint her as an unfit mother. The Learned Judge awarded care and control of the children to Chong Boon’s client and ordered the father to hand over the children to our client within 7 days, or face contempt proceedings. The case was bitterly fought over 3 years and involved 2,000 pages of court documents.
- represented a prominent and wealthy Singapore businessman in his divorce proceedings and ancillary issues.
- acted for a prominent senior Singapore lawyer in a highly contentious divorce matter, division of assets and custody of the children.
- represented the CEO of a listed company in his divorce proceedings and ancillaries.
- acted for a wife to recover half of the ex-husband’s lottery win.
Chong Boon has previously served two terms in the Council of the Law Society of Singapore and has chaired and served on several sub committees of the Law Society.
He is also a Commissioner for Oaths.
- .Appointed by the Chief Justice to the Inquiry Panel of the Law Society of Singapore for two year terms (2013 to 2015, 2015 to 2017, 2017 to 2019)
- Elected as Council Member of the Law Society of Singapore (1993 to 1996)
- Past committee member of Civil Practice Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Past Chairman of Sports Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Appointed as Assigned lawyer with the Legal Aid Bureau, Ministry of Law
- Past Tutor, Practice Law Course of the Board of Legal Education – Family Law, Civil Procedure, Insolvency and Bankruptcy
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Chong Boon is a contributor / author for Lexis Practical Guidance – Family Law Module.
PKWA Law is one of Singapore’s largest family law firms specialising in Family Law, Divorce, Wills and Probate.
Our specialist Family Lawyers are consistently named as leading Singapore family lawyers by respected legal publications such as Asian Legal Business, Doyle’s Guide and Singapore Business Review.
Our fees are fixed, clear and affordable. Our Divorce Fee Packages start from $1,500 plus GST.
Contact us now for your free consultation. .