Dorothy Tan is consistently recognised by legal publications and by her peers as a leading family lawyer. She is much sought after by clients for her tremendous hard work and expertise.
Dorothy has received the following accolades:
- Dorothy was named as one of Asia’s Top Young Lawyers in Asian Legal Business 2016 listing of “40 under 40 – Asia’s Brightest Young Legal Minds”. The list comprises of lawyers under the age of 40 who have been recognised for doing important deals, working on key disputes and other high quality work, and earning accolades from their colleagues and clients.
- Recently, Dorothy won a landmark case at the Singapore Court of Appeal, after the client had turned to her for help when he lost at the High Court. The Court of Appeal case that Dorothy won (Twiss, Christopher James Hans v Twiss, Yvonne Prendergast  SGCA 52) has become a landmark case and is now frequently cited and followed by the Singapore Courts in decisions involving division of matrimonial assets. Her client wrote a glowing testimonial of Dorothy’s skills, dedication and hard work, which can be found here.
- Dorothy is arguably one of the youngest lawyers at age 25 to lead a team and to win at the Court of Appeal and in a case that is now a landmark decision.
- Dorothy was nominated for “Young Lawyer of the Year” by Asian Legal Business at the SE Asia Law Awards 2017. She was selected by an independent judging panel of 30 legal experts.
- For 2 consecutive years, Dorothy is also ranked by her peers as a Leading Family and Divorce Lawyer in Doyles Guide of Leading Singapore Family and Divorce Lawyers in 2016 and 2017.
- Dorothy was also named by Singapore Business Review as one of “Singapore’s Most Influential Lawyers under 40 Years Old” in 2016. She was selected from a list of almost a hundred nominees based on thought leadership, influence, and success.
Dorothy regularly receives exceptional client feedback.
One client commended her for her “faith, knowledge and determination”. Another client wrote that Dorothy’s “judgements and ability to steer the various proceedings were absolutely critical. I was able to give you my full trust. You have certainly made a lasting impact, one which I will not forget.”
Dorothy is well liked and respected by her peers. She has always held leadership positions, including being elected as Law Club President at the Law Faculty, National University of Singapore. She is currently the Deputy Head of our Family Law Department.
1. Dorothy was engaged by a client (the husband) to be the lead counsel in a complex and difficult case involving the division of multi-million dollar assets. The case was heard before a court of 3 Appellate Judges at Singapore’s highest court, the Court of Appeal. Dorothy won the appeal and that decision has become one of the most important cases in Singapore divorce law because the Court of Appeal reaffirmed and summarized the new Singapore law on division of matrimonial assets  SGCA 52].
.2. Dorothy’s Court of Appeal case is now a landmark case in Singapore on division of matrimonial assets and has been subsequently cited and followed by the Singapore Courts in such cases as Zhou Lijie v Wang Chengxiang  SGHC 316; TIG v TIH  SGHCF 12; TME v TMF  SGHCF 6 ; THL v THM  SGHCF 11 ; TNL v TNK  SGCA 15 and UBD v UBE  SGHCF 14.
.3. Dorothy successfully represented the mother in a bitter custody battle over her 2 children. The High Court awarded our client care and control and ordered the father to hand over the children within 7 days or face contempt action. The case took 3 years and involved over 2,000 pages of court documents.
4. Dorothy successfully represented the father and won for him care and control of the children. She also got for him a greater share of the matrimonial assets.
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY
“I turned to Dorothy to assist me where all others had failed. I had four previous lawyers, who either dismissed me, took easy options, or ignored the facts of my case. In desperation to seek justice, and in my hour of need, I was recommended to PKWA. Dorothy Tan LISTENED to my case, and worked tirelessly over the holidays and weekends to meet impossible deadlines. A very upsetting and stressful time but I will be forever grateful as Dorothy believed in my case and sought a fair and just resolution against insurmountable odds. At every juncture, Dorothy provided realistic, honest assessments and I proceeded based on her recommendations. If Dorothy and her team decides to champion your cause, you should consider yourself very fortunate.” – Christopher Twiss.
.“Dorothy, a big thank you for all the support, guidance and recommendations you have given me. Your judgements and ability to steer the various proceedings were absolutely critical. I was able to give you my full trust. You have certainly made a lasting impact, one which I will not forget. Thank you.” – AJ.
PKWA Law is one of Singapore’s largest family law firms specialising in Family Law, Divorce, Wills and Probate.
Our specialist Family Lawyers are consistently named as leading Singapore family lawyers by respected legal publications such as Asian Legal Business, Doyle’s Guide and Singapore Business Review.
Our fees are fixed, clear and affordable. Our Divorce Fee Packages start from $1,500 plus GST.
Contact us now for your free consultation. .