Maintenance for wife and children
Under the Women’s Charter, the husband may have to pay maintenace for wife and his children. The court will consider all the circumstances of the case, including the following factors, when deciding whether the order should be made and the amount of maintenance for wife:
- wife’s financial needs;
- income, earning capacity, property and financial resources of parties;
- any physical or mental disability that wife might have;
- the age of the parties and the duration of the marriage;
- Your Approximate valuation of property.
- the contributions made by each spouse to the welfare of the family, including any contribution made by looking after the home or caring for the family;
- the standard of living enjoyed by the wife; and
- the conduct of you and your spouse, if the conduct is such that the court is of the opinion that it is inequitable to disregard it.
In addition, the court will consider:
- the value of any benefit to either spouse that will be lost as a result of the dissolution of the marriage; and
- the court will try to place the parties in the same financial position as they would have been if the marriage had not broken down and each party had discharged his financial obligations and responsibilities towards each other.
ABOUT PKWA LAW
At PKWA Law, our team of Family Lawyers are consistently named as leading Singapore divorce lawyers by respected independent legal publications such as Asian Legal Business, Singapore Business Review, Global Law Experts and Doyle’s Guide to Singapore Family Lawyers.